Search Our Blog Below

Ex-PDP governor withdraws N10bn suit against DSS

– Former governor of Benue state, Gabriel Suswam, has withdrawn the fundamental human rights suit he instituted against the Department of State Services (DSS)

– The suit was seeking an order of unconditional release from detention

– The DSS has since released Suswam on the grounds of self-recognition after detaining him for 71 days

Former governor of Benue state, Gabriel Suswam, has withdrawn the fundamental human rights suit he instituted against the DSS.

ZENITHBLOG.com gathered that the suit was seeking an order of unconditional release from detention.

Suswam had also asked the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja to order the DSS to award him N10 billion as compensation for unlawful incarceration and violation of his rights.

Suswam was detained by the DSS for 71 days, before his release on Sunday, May 7 on the grounds of self-recognition.

Ex-Benue governor, Suswam withdraws N10bn suit against DSS

Suswam has since been released by the DSS

When the matter was called on Wednesday, May 10, counsel to Suswam, Joseph Daudu (SAN), told the court that his client had no further intention of continuing the suit.

READ ALSO: Osinbajo-led committee makes decision on Lawal, Oke case

Daudu maintained that although Suswam’s doctor had placed him on strict bed rest, he reluctantly released him to appear in court to validate his claim of ill health.

His words: “The applicant was just released last Sunday after over 70 days in detention and he visited his consultant cardiologist and was given a document showing that he should be on strict bed rest.

“In view of the fact that he was released based on his health, he needs time to get his health back to

be able to stand trial.

“We, however, apply to withdraw the application since he has been released.”

State counsel, Terhemba Agbe, said the DSS was not opposed to the application since an applicant had a right to proceed with an application or to withdraw it.

In a short ruling, Justice Gabriel Kolawale, said that based on the oral application made by Suswam’s counsel to withdraw the suit, the application was granted and he accordingly, struck out the suit.

ZENITHBLOG.com had earlier reported that before his arrest, DSS was probing Suswam’s links to a militia leader in Benue state.

Ex-Benue governor, Suswam withdraws N10bn suit against DSS

Suswam was accused of storing arms and ammunition

The militia leader, Terwaze Akwazza (a.k.a Gana) is said to have three local government areas in his grip namely; Logo, Katsina-Ala and Ukum.

READ ALSO: Namadi Sambo reveals why he visited Osinbajo

The DSS also investigated Suswam for allegedly building an armoury in his mansion, which is under construction in Makurdi.

‘);
});
}(window, document);

0naze

Share:

Related Posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive